As my final post about eBay, I thought I would share some funny and unusual listings that have come up on eBay in the past.
1. Bridgeville, California (pop. 25) was the first town to be sold on eBay in 2002, and has been for sale 3 times since.
2. Disney sold a retired Monorail Red for $20,000.
3. In 2004, a listing for a sea urchin turned out to be a new species
4. Water that was said to have been left in a cup Elvis Presley once drank from was sold for $455. The few tablespoons came from a plastic cup Presley sipped at a concert in North Carolina in 1977.
5. In 2004, a partially eaten, 10-year-old grilled cheese sandwich said to bear the image of the Virgin Mary sold for $28,000.
6. In November 2011, a 25-year-old Londoner named Aimee Robinson placed her “plus one” to her brother’s wedding to raise funds for her climb of Mount Kilimanjaro in January 2012 in aid of the charity Diabetes UK.
7. In November 2012, in light of Twinkie production ceasing, Twinkies began to be listed at phenomenally high prices, including a box going for $10 million, claiming that $1 million would be donated to a cause of the buyer’s choice and the Twinkies will be delivered in a van to the address displaying a company logo also of the buyer’s choice.
8. In December 2009, a woman auctioned copyright for a never before seen four-minute home movie of Marilyn Monroe smoking.